Current:Home > MyAppeals court seen as likely to revive 2 sexual abuse suits against Michael Jackson -Capitatum
Appeals court seen as likely to revive 2 sexual abuse suits against Michael Jackson
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 20:58:51
Los Angeles — A California appeals court on Wednesday will consider reviving the dismissed lawsuits of two men who allege Michael Jackson sexually abused them as children for years, a move the court appears likely to make after a tentative decision that would order the cases back to a lower court for trial.
The suits were filed after Jackson's 2009 death by Wade Robson in 2013 and James Safechuck the following year. The two men became more widely known for telling their stories in the 2019 HBO documentary, "Leaving Neverland."
Both sued MJJ Productions Inc. and MJJ Ventures Inc., two corporations of which Jackson was the sole owner and lone shareholder.
In 2021, Superior Court Judge Mark A. Young ruled that the two corporations and their employees had no legal duty to protect Robson and Safechuck from Jackson and threw out the suits. But in a tentative decision last month, California's 2nd District Court of Appeal reversed that judge and ordered the cases back to trial.
Lawyers for the Jackson estate on Wednesday will try to persaude the appeals court to reverse course.
- Michael Jackson: Can we separate the art from the artist?
The lawsuits have already bounced back from a 2017 dismissal, when Young threw them out for being beyond the statute of limitations. A new California law that temporarily broadened the scope of sexual abuse cases led the appeals court to restore them. Jackson's personal estate - the assets he left after his death - was thrown out as a defendant in 2015.
Robson, now a 40-year-old choreographer, met Jackson when he was 5 years old. He went on to appear in Jackson music videos and record music on his label.
His lawsuit alleged that Jackson molested him over a seven-year period. It says that he was Jackson's employee and the employees of two corporations had a duty to protect him the same way the Boy Scouts or a school would need to protect children from their leaders.
Safechuck, now 45, said in his suit that he met Jackson while filming a Pepsi commercial when he was 9. He said Jackson called him often and lavished him with gifts before moving on to a series of incidents of sexual abuse.
The Jackson estate has adamantly and repeatedly denied that he abused either of the boys and has emphasized that Robson testified at Jackson's 2005 criminal trial that he had not been abused, and Safechuck said the same to authorities.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they were victims of sexual abuse. But Robson and Safechuck have repeatedly come forward and approved of the use of their identities.
- In:
- Michael Jackson
veryGood! (339)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Pilot dies as small plane crashes after taking off from Nebraska airport
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs' mother defends him amid legal troubles: 'A public lynching of my son'
- Prosecutor says Omaha officer was justified in fatally shooting fleeing man
- Bodycam footage shows high
- The Daily Money: America is hiring
- From prepped to panicked: How different generations feel about retirement
- Supreme Court to hear challenge to ghost-gun regulation
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Bear, 3 cubs break into Colorado home, attack 74-year-old man who survived injuries
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 7? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- Teen who cut off tanker on Illinois highway resulting in crash, chemical spill: 'My bad'
- Toyota pushes back EV production plans in America
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- RHONY Preview: How Ubah Hassan's Feud With Brynn Whitfield Really Started
- Dua Lipa's Unusual Diet Coke Pickle Recipe Has the Internet Divided
- Why did Jets fire Robert Saleh? Record, Aaron Rodgers drama potential reasons for ousting
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
An unusual hurricane season goes from ultra quiet to record busy and spawns Helene and Milton
Police say dispute at Detroit factory led to fatal shooting; investigation ongoing
Man falls to his death in Utah while canyoneering in Zion National Park
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Mega Millions tickets will cost $5 starting in April as lottery makes 'mega changes'
Police say dispute at Detroit factory led to fatal shooting; investigation ongoing
Sally Field recounts her 'horrific' illegal abortion in video supporting Kamala Harris